Fruit-bearing is not a matter of being strong or weak, good or bad, brave or cowardly, clever or foolish, experienced or inexperienced. Whatever your gifts, accomplishments, or virtues, they cannot produce fruit if you are detached from Jesus Christ. Christians who think they are bearing fruit apart from the Vine are only tying on artificial fruit. They run around grunting and groaning to produce fruit but accomplish nothing. Fruit is borne not by trying, but by abiding. ~ John MacArthur
- The Fruit of the Spirit Is… by J.V. Fesko
- The Fruit of the Spirit by John Sanderson
- The Holy Spirit: Understanding His Work in Our Lives
The Fruit of the Spirit is manifested in a desire and ability to:
- Pursue God’s glory (1 Cor. 10:31).
- Mature in Christlikeness (1 Pet. 2:2).
- Be kind to others (Eph. 4:32).
- Restore relationships (Mt. 5:9).
- Rejoice in the Lord (Phil. 4:4).
- Persevere through trials (Jas. 1:2-3).
- Suffer persecution for Christ (2 Tim. 3:10-11).
- Delight in God’s commandments (Psm. 119:47).
- Read, study, memorize, listen to and meditate on the Bible (Jos. 1:8).
- Share your faith (2 Tim. 4:5).
- Be patient with others (1 Thes. 5:14).
- Contribute to church unity (Eph. 4:3).
- Desire goodness (2 Thes. 1:11).
- Pray without ceasing (1 Thes. 5:17).
- Faithfully prioritize church (Heb. 10:23-25).
- Prefer others (Rom. 12:10).
- Surrender fully to Christ (Lk. 9:23).
- Act faithfully (Gal. 5:22).
- Serve in the church (1 Cor. 12:7).
- Experience true peace (Gal. 5:22).
- Be a committed marriage partner (Col. 3:18-19).
- Love God and others (Mt. 22:37-39).
- Guard your heart (Pr. 4:23).
- Manifest a tempered spirit (Tit. 2:2).
- Exercise self-control (Gal. 5:23).
- Grow in the knowledge of God (2 Pet. 3:18).
- Repent of known sin (Lk. 13:5).
- Develop biblical wisdom (Eph. 5:15).
- Examine yourself (1 Cor. 13:5).
- Practice hospitality (Rom. 12:13).
- Be humble (1 Pet. 5:6).
- Work hard with integrity (Col. 3:23-24).
- Act with gentleness (Gal. 5:23).
- Manage your home (1 Tim. 3:4).
- Instruct and discipline your children biblically (Eph. 6:4).
- Listen more than you speak (Jas. 1:19).
- Want Christian fellowship (Ac. 2:42).
- Speak wholesome words (Col. 4:6).
- Encourage others (1 Thes. 5:11).
- Be an example for others (1 Tim. 4:12).
- Forgive others (Mt. 6:12).
- Fast (Mt. 6:16).
- Hate evil (Rom. 12:9).
- Be filled with the Spirit (Eph. 5:18).
- Support missionaries (3 Jn. 1:7-8).
- Engage in spiritual warfare (Eph. 6:13).
- Sacrifice with your finances (2 Cor. 8:3-5).
- Experience hope (Heb. 6:11).
- Sing spiritual songs (Eph. 5:19).
- Develop biblical convictions (Jas. 4:17).
- Commit to pure doctrine (Tit. 2:1).
- Desire God’s will (Jn. 4:34).
- Be thankful (Col. 3:15).
- Submit wherever necessary (Eph. 5:21).
- Prioritize spiritual things (Col. 3:1-2).
- Long for our Lord’s return (Rev. 22:20).
Note: Our hearts must always be examined as much of this can be produced in the flesh.