This book, For Instruction in Righteousness, will help you use the Bible every time you discipline your children! For Instruction in Righteousness is a topical Bible for parents. It includes hundreds of verses on over 50 areas of sin. But it is more than just a topical Bible! Each chapter includes the following listings:
- What the Bible says will, or should, happen to a person who sins in this way.
- Ideas for discipline that parallel these Biblical consequences.
- What the Bible likens a person to when he indulges in this sin, and ideas for practical objects lessons using these examples.
- How God blesses the person who resists temptations to this sort of sin.
- Parallel ideas for “rewards” and encouragement for children who show progress towards overcoming this sin.
- Stories and people in the Bible that illustrate obedience and disobedience in this area.
- Fully quoted memory verses.
The introduction discusses the responsibilities of parents, Scripture as our authority in discipline, and Scripture’s example of teaching through stories, object lessons, songs, and memorials. Explains examples of discipline situations, and how to use the topical information when disciplining your children. We want our children to understand that “right” and “wrong” are absolutes, based on God’s standards, not ours. If we train our children to submit to the authority of God’s standards, those standards will not change when the children grow up and leave the authority of our homes. We don’t want to discipline in anger; we want to show grief over the child’s sin, and we want to lead him to true repentance. When we discipline, we want to picture for our children our heavenly Father’s holiness and His mercy. That is why we went to the Bible and started studying. A wealth of material for parents’ personal Bible study, family worship, character training, unit studies, and Bible study projects for older children.