As an Amillennialist it never fails – any time I have a conversation with a Dispensationalist within the first 3 minutes I get the same question, “So, what do you believe about Revelation 20?” They aren’t typically amused when I tell them that I believe it comes directly after Revelation 19 and just before chapter 21.
My failed attempt at levity aside, it seems this is a serious “sticking point” for many when it comes to exploring other positions, especially one that is accused of “spiritualizing” the Bible. When I was young, I was a dyed-in-the-wool Dallas Theological Dispensational clone. I had it all figured out! I have read literally DOZENS of books on Dispensationalism, Progressive Dispensationalism and even the more novel “Pre-Wrath” Rapture position.
Over the years, however, I began reading outside of my comfort zone. And to my shock and amazement, my favorite Dispensational authors (cf. Walvoord, Ryrie, Pentecost, Chaefer, etc.) didn’t always represent the other side with the fairness such a serious subject deserves. In fact, there were flat out misrepresentations, caricatures , and enough straw men to make an army. Below are some of the books and other resources that I have found useful in my journey. I don’t agree with all of these authors, but I’ve found that it’s better to read from primary sources with an open Bible and a prayerful heart than find all of your answers on a chart and newspaper headlines.
Books on Amillenialism
- The Case for Amillennialism by Kim Riddlebarger
- The Bible and the Future by Anthony A. Hoekema
- Three Views on the Millennium and Beyond
Books on Dispensationalism
- Dispensationalism: Rightly Dividing the People of God? by Keith Mathison
- A Primer on Dispensationalism by John Gerstner
- Understanding Dispensationalists by Vern Poythress
Commentaries on Revelation
- The Book of Revelation (NIGTC) by G. K. Beale
- The Returning King: A Guide to the Book of Revelation by Vern S. Poythress
- Triumph of the Lamb: A Commentary on Revelation by Dennis E. Johnson
- More Than Conquerors: An Interpretation of the Revelation by William Hendriksen
- The Lamb Wins: A Guided Tour Through the Book of Revelation by Richard Bewes
Websites & Resources