- You have heaven to win or lose yourselves…A holy calling will not save an unholy man.
- You have sinful inclinations as well as others.
- You have greater temptations than most men.
- The tempter will make his first and sharpest onset upon you. If you will be leaders against him, he will spare you no further than God restrains him.
- Many eyes are upon you, and therefore there will be many to observe your falls.
- Your sins are more aggravated than those of other men. They have more of hypocrisy in them, and are more detrimental to the cause of religion.
- The honor of your Lord and Master, and of His holy truth, doth lie more on you than other men.
- the souls of your hearers and the success of your labors do very much depend upon your self-examination.